Attendees participated in a “gallery walk” brainstorming exercise to share practice and policy suggestions for improving resilience efforts.
- Resilience and Economic Development: Moving from Idea to Action Josh Barnes, Disaster Recovery Coordinator, EDA
- Building Community Resilience…Making Resilience the New Normal Lauren Alexander Augustine, Director, Program on Risk, Resilience and Extreme Events and Associate Executive Director, Division on Earth and Life Studies, The National Academy of Sciences
- Adaptation and Resilience Projects in the Netherlands Dale Morris, Senior Economist, Royal Netherlands Embassy
Participants heard from a variety of national, regional, and local leaders and practitioners. Here, Josh Barnes from EDA discusses how disasters can serve as an opportunity to diversify and strengthen economies.
Participant Presentations:A sampling of participants delivered 5 minute, 5 slide presentations on how their communities and regions are incorporating resilience into ongoing disaster recovery efforts as well as planning, zoning, capital investment, lending, and other day-to-day decisions.
- Doug Elliott, East Central Iowa Council of Governments, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Robin Edgeworth, City of Tuscaloosa, AL
- Randy DeShazo, Tampa Bay Regional Planning Commission, Pinellas Park, FL
- Miriam Chion, Association of Bay Area Governments, Oakland, CA
- Dan Albrecht, Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission, Winooski, VT
- Pat Steed, Central Florida Regional Planning Council, Bartow, FL
- Mayor John O’Brien, Town of Lyons, CO
- LisaBeth Barajas, Metropolitan Council, Twin Cities, MN
- Chris Campany, Windham Regional Commission, Brattleboro, VT
- Robin Barnes, Greater New Orleans, Inc., New Orleans, LA
A variety of breakout sessions provided opportunities for taking a look a different facets of resilience, including infrastructure investments, public health, data collection, and regional planning. Key takeaways were shared with the entire group.For more information about this event or NADO RF’s resilience initiatives, contact Sara James at email@example.com Brett Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on IEDC's resilience initiatives, contact Scott Annis at email@example.com.