IEDC will host a free workshop on the last day of its 2019 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN, to discuss economic recovery and explore what "resiliency" means for your community. This event is free to all, but registration is required. Register online today.
Economic Resilience: Your Competitive Edge
Wednesday, October 16, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
JW Marriott, 101 & 102
10 S West Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Economic resilience is the new buzzword. Increasingly, communities are thinking about how they can adopt and build out this concept to become more competitive. This interactive session has been designed for attendees to learn more about:
- Various economic development principles and their relationship to economic resilience (e.g., economic diversification, asset mapping with vulnerabilities mapping etc.);
- Differences and commonalities between stressors and shocks; and
- Practical examples of how some communities are approaching economic resilience.
This interactive workshop will also feature special presentations from seasoned economic development professionals and roundtable discussions on how to apply key principles of economic resilience and recovery support functions in various scenarios. Session participants will engage in roundtable discussions, and be given a takeaway they will be able to use in their practice when they return home.
- Economic development principles and their relationship to economic resilience (e.g., economic diversification, asset mapping)
- Different approaches to addressing stressors on the economy (e.g., industry downturns) vs economic shocks (e.g., natural disasters)
- Specific elements related to EDA’s 11 principles of economic resilience/federal recovery support functions
- Mickie Valente, President, Valente Strategic Advisers LLC, Saint Petersburg, FL
- Dennis Alvord, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Regional Affairs, Economic Development Administration, Washington, DC
- Jared Arnett, MBA, IOM, Executive Director, Shaping Our Appalachian Region, Inc. (SOAR), Pikesville, KY
- Leann Hackman-Carty, CEO, Economic Developers Alberta, Calgary, AB
- Sue Southon, FM, Senior Technical Specialist, ICF International, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- John R. Zakian, CEcD, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Minot, North Dakota, Minot, ND
This event is free to all, but registration is required. Register online today.