On Wednesday, October 16 after its annual conference in Indianapolis, IEDC hosted the "Economic Resilience: Your Competitive Edge" workshop. The session featured special presentations from seasoned economic development professionals and roundtable discussions on how to apply key principles of economic resilience and recovery support functions in various scenarios. These presentations can be downloaded here, or accessed through IEDC's Annual Conference Portal.
This workshop provided a valuable opportunity for disaster-impacted communities to learn more about economic development principles and their relationship to economic resilience as well as different approaches to addressing economic disruptions.
The event’s speakers included:
- Dennis Alvord, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Regional Affairs, U.S. Economic Development Administration
- Rodrick Miller, CEO, Invest Puerto Rico
- Linda Cruz-Carnall, Regional Director, U.S. Economic Development Administration Philadelphia Regional Office
- Sue Southon, FM, Senior Technical Specialist, ICF International
- Kamal Latham, CEO, U.S. Virgin Islands Economic Development Authority
- Allison Larsen, CEcD, Principal, TadZo
- Jared Arnett, Executive Director, Shaping Our Appalachian Region, Inc. (SOAR)
- John R. Zakian, CEcD, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Minot, North Dakota
- Leann Hackman-Carty, CEO, Economic Developers Alberta
Several of the event’s speakers have previously participated in IEDC’s Economic Recovery and Resiliency Programs, through which IEDC deploys economic development volunteers for short and long-term recovery assignments.
IEDC continues to host workshops, disseminate best practice materials, and provide technical assistance to disaster-affected communities across the U.S. These resources are made possible through grants from the U.S. Economic Development Administration, as well as generous donations from our partners in disaster recovery at Southwest Airlines.