At its 2019 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana, the International Economic Development Council held a free workshop on economic resilience. This workshop provided a valuable opportunity for disaster-impacted communities to learn more about economic development principles and their relationship to economic resilience as well as different approaches to addressing economic disruptions.
The event’s speakers included:
- Dennis Alvord, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Regional Affairs, U.S. Economic Development Administration
- Rodrick Miller, CEO, Invest Puerto Rico
- Linda Cruz-Carnall, Regional Director, U.S. Economic Development Administration Philadelphia Regional Office
- Sue Southon, FM, Senior Technical Specialist, ICF International
- Kamal Latham, CEO, U.S. Virgin Islands Economic Development Authority
- Allison Larsen, CEcD, Principal, TadZo
- Jared Arnett, Executive Director, Shaping Our Appalachian Region, Inc. (SOAR)
- John R. Zakian, CEcD, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Minot, North Dakota
- Leann Hackman-Carty, CEO, Economic Developers Alberta
IEDC’s new whitepaper, “Economic Resilience: Your Competitive Edge” builds on the presentations and discussions featured at this session.